Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Goodbye to Virginia Martin: Teacher, Colleague, Friend

The History Department is sad to say goodbye to Ginny Martin, who taught Russian, European, and world history at UAH over the last decade. We wish her all the best! Here is an open letter Ginny emailed to the department:

"In late November, my husband was offered a dream job in Madison, Wisconsin. It took us about 30 seconds to decide as a family to begin a new chapter of our lives "back home." Being Wisconsinites, we just couldn't imagine raising our two daughters without snow! After 10.5 yrs on the UAH faculty, there is so much that I will miss! Grading 100-level student exams is not on the short list, but interacting with students definitely is! I'll miss everything from discussions about Soviet "Communism" and Ottoman ethnic policies to helping conscientious students write term papers. I'll really miss my colleagues in the HY department -- from the first day I met them, I knew they were a special group of people (even Waring!...yes, and Gerberding, too!), and leaving them behind creates a big hole in my daily life. In the short term, I look forward to completing a few articles to submit to scholarly journals for publication. I have three separate positions as editor or editorial consultant for publications in the field of Central Asian/Eurasian studies. In the longer term, I hope to return to teaching, at least part-time, and expect to continue my scholarly research on Kazakh history."

Dr. Martin's email address will be changing, but she says she'd love to hear from students and know how they are doing; please ask Bev Gentry for her contact information.

No comments:

News and Notes

about the department, its students, and alumni